FOR SALE

Brand new, in the box, Cannondale Supersix High-mod Frame set $2500 Tylerd@uvic.ca for details

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I blacked out and woke up running a 5 k...

So I got an email from Kamal earlier last week, along the lines of "hey your on our relay for the thetis 20km, let me know if you can't, but I already signed you up"... Needless to say I JUMPED at the chance!
5 k is a little more of a sprint than my usual half iron, but I was excited to give it a go and we ended up putting together a great team including Kamal, Myke, and a new friend Leif (sorry if I spelled it wrong buddy!).
The weather man was wrong again and it turned out to be a fantastic day for a race, bluebird sky and just a bite of cold in the air! Being a fun race, my day started a little differently than usual. I woke up early and hit the bike for a couple of hours, before heading to the remembrance day ceremonies downtown.
Race time came fast and furious, but we managed 20 minutes for a group warmup on the course. The trail was mud, mud and more mud for the first three k and hills, hills and more hills for the last two. Having not been doing a lot of hill running, the last half of the course killed me. At top of every hill it felt like my lungs wanted to explode and the down hills were a desperate attempt to get my heart rate down to avoid an emergency stomach evac at the side of the course!
Overall there was a really strong showing and the teams from the NTC ended up stealing the show, taking and holding a strong lead. Third went to a running club from Nanaimo , with our little foursome sneaking into forth overall.
As a fitness test I was really happy with this race, it showed me where my weaknesses lie and what I need to work on. Plus it was a great challenge and a lot of fun, and at this point in my career every race is another experience to build on!

No comments:

Post a Comment